Thai food is my second favorite cuisine (next to Indian, for obvious reasons). The dishes have complex layers of flavors that are packed with heat, saltiness, tanginess and subtle sweetness.
Luckily, not all of this complexity needs to be made from scratch. A lot of the ingredients used in a traditional green curry paste are rare and hard to find. This is why I will be sharing ready made, all natural sauces and pastes that you can “cheat” with.
- Chaokoh Coconut Milk, 13.5 Ounce (Pack of 6) – you only need 1
- Maesri Thai Green Curry Paste – 4 Oz (Pack of 4) – you only need 1; this brand is great – all natural ingredients
- Fish Sauce (Anchovy Fish) – 9.6oz (Pack of 1)
- Jasmine rice
- Chicken (dark or white meat will do) 2-4 lbs cut into strips
- Soy Sauce (1 tbsp)
- Thai eggplant (you can get this at any Asian/Indian store)
- Thai Chilies (handful)
- Ginger (1 inch)
- Garlic (2 cloves)
- Thai Basil leaves
- Optional (but, I swear by this stuff ) Por Kwan Thai Chili Paste With Sweet Basil Leaves – 8 oz jar
- Heat up some coconut cream (about 1/4 th cup). The coconut cream naturally floats to the top of the can if you don’t shake it
- Blend the chilies, garlic and ginger into a fine paste
- Once the milk starts to boil, add in the green curry paste and the chili paste from step #2
Once it cooks in, the oil starts floating to the top. At this point, add in the chicken
Cook until opaque. Then add in the rest of the coconut milk
Boil for a bit, now add in the soy sauce and the sweet basil chili paste. The soy sauce makes a great substitute for the salt, so you don’t need to add any additionally
Add in the quartered thai eggplants
Cook for a few mins, and add in the fish sauce. This is up to your taste, but it gives the curry such a great flavor so I tend to go overboard with it. I use up to 4 or 5 tbsp, but you can use less if you prefer
Serve with thai basil leaves as a finishing touch. This is rather hard to find, especially when it’s out of season. I used cilantro as a substitute and sprinkled some lime juice for additional flavor!