Welcome back to Ankitha Gadag Recipes! One of my favorite soups at Olive Garden was the Zuppa Toscana soup. Zuppa Toscana literally means Tuscan Soup, which is a combination of garden vegetables in a creamy broth with spicy meats. This particular recipe was born out of need… I needed to get rid of a ton of veggies in my fridge! But as they say – Necessity is the mother of invention, and this recipe has been one of my favorite soup recipes EVER!! It is creamy, spicy and has a ton of texture from the crispy bacon to the melt-in-your-mouth potatoes.
What makes this recipe extra special is the fact that it meets a lot of different dietary constraints – whether you are practicing whole 30, keto or paleo diets, I have got you covered. It’s so, so delicious and I hope you make it while it’s still soup SZN.
What you will need:
- kale (1 bunch)
- onion (1)
- celery (1 stalk)
- spicy italian sausage (casing removed) – 1 lb
- turkey bacon (2 strips)
- prosciutto (1/4 lb)
- 1 jalapeno
- garlic (2 tbsp)
- sweet potato (1)
- coconut milk – 1/2 can
- chicken bone broth (32 oz)
- fresh herbs (3 sprigs thyme, 1 sprig rosemary, 2 sprigs oregano)
- arrow root starch (2 tbsp)
- paprika (1 tbsp)
- nutritional yeast (1/4 th cup)
- juice of 1 lemon
- In a large pot or dutch oven, start by browning your chopped prosciutto and bacon. Remove and set aside
- Add in some olive oil and saute all your veggies, except the greens ( onion, celery, jalapeno, sweet potato, garlic). Saute for about 5 mins.
- Next, add in your sausage. Break apart in the pot till meat is browned.
- Mix in the arrowroot starch, until well coated. Slowly add in the broth, while constantly stirring.
- Add in the coconut milk along with the herbs, paprika, salt & pepper. Cover and cook for 5-10 mins.
- Remove the fresh herbs. Add in greens, nutritional yeast and juice of 1 lemon. Cook for a few mins longer until kale is mixed in.
- Serve hot and top with prosciutto/bacon combination. Enjoy!