A healthy, hearty, Whole30 compliant gumbo sure to nourish the soul!
Hey guys! Welcome back to Ankitha Gadag Recipes.
This recipe has been (legit) months in the making. The inspo to recreate a gumbo recipe came to me after a visit to New Orleans (or as they say – “Naw-Lins”). Since then I was motivated to create a healthy version of it that just so happens to be whole30 compliant! Yay!
The biggest difference here is that my recipe doesn’t use any roux. Roux is basically a mix of butter and flour slowlyyyy stirred for great lengths of time to make a base or thickener for soups. Instead, I use an arrowroot starch mixed with chicken stock. Arrowroot starch is a great thickening agent and also has incredible health benefits! The result is incredible – no one can tell the difference and you have the added health benefits. Voila!
Without further ado, let’s get started !
- 3 cups cut, frozen okra
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely diced onion (~1/2 onion)
- 3/4 cup finely diced celery (~3 stalks)
- 1 cup finely diced green/red/yellow bell pepper (~ 2 bell peppers)
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 tsp. Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice (or any other Cajun spices)
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot
- 2 cups pre-cooked and shredded chicken
- 12 oz. fully cooked beef kielbasa (chicken sausage or any other sausage variety is fine)
- 1 cup shrimp cut into bite size pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread okra on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp. oil and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. (this prevents it from getting slimy and ruining your gumbo!)
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven or large pot.
- Add in the diced onion, celery, and bell pepper, seasoned with salt and pepper and saute until nice and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add in the garlic, cayenne, thyme, paprika, Cajun spice and tomato paste and saute for another 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of broth with 2 tbsp. arrowroot starch. Whisk until arrowroot has dissolved. Pour into the pot and stir constantly so it is well combined with the rest of the ingredients. Once the consistency reaches a thick, gravy-like texture, slowly pour and whisk in the remaining chicken broth.
- In separate pans – dice up the kielbasa and sizzle until golden brown. Cook diced shrimp in a separate pan for a few mins
- Add in the shredded chicken, sausage and shrimp
- When the okra is complete, using a slotted spoon, add it into the gumbo.
- Once everything is in the pot, slowly stir in 1-2 cups of broth (depending on how thick you want your gumbo) until it reaches the consistency you like.
- Taste and add more S&P if you’d like!
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. I served mine over white rice – but feel free to use cauli-rice to keep it whole30!