There’s nothing more delicious and satisfying than a spicy red chilli chicken gravy. There are so many different varieties within chilli chicken. There is the Chinese chilli chicken which is more savory from the soy sauce/oyster sauce and there’s the Indian Chilli Chicken that focuses predominantly on spice and heat. Then, there’s variations with both; you can make chilli chicken gravy or you can make it dry. You can also make chilli chicken deep fried or make your chilli chicken recipe with no frying at all. How you personalize is based on your preference.
My personal recipe preference is based on how easy it is to make, and how healthy I can make it. This cuts the deep frying out of the equation, WITHOUT compromising taste. Since I can’t choose between Indian Chilli Chicken or Chinese Chilli Chicken, my blend is the IndoChinese chilli chicken and it truly offers the best of both worlds.
- chicken ( I prefer dark meat like chicken thighs for this) 2-3 lbs
- Ginger Garlic paste ( you will need 3-4 spoons)
- Chilli Chicken masala (Highly recommend this brand, has all natural ingredients without the food coloring and high sodium)
- vegetable oil around 1/3 rd cup
- red chili powder (5 tbsp)
- red bell pepper (1 chopped in 1 inch pieces)
- thai green chilies (handful)
- vinegar (1 tbsp)
- yogurt (2 cups)
- cilantro (handful)
- soy sauce (1 -2 tbsp)
- oyster sauce (1 tbsp)
- Limes (1)
- 1 onion
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- Marinate the chicken with red chilli powder, yogurt, vinegar, chili chicken masala, and ginger garlic paste.