Welcome back to Ankitha Gadag Recipes! I am so, SO excited to share this recipe with you guys. I wanted to come up with a recipe that would be comforting for the cold weather while putting my new Dutch Oven to good use and ya’ll, I am SO happy with the results!
If you have never cooked with a Dutch oven before, it’s life changing, especially for braising meats. Braising is the process of searing at a high temperature (usually in the meat’s own fat) and then finishing in a covered pot with some juices for an extended period of time. The process makes it so the meat develops a carmelized crust on the outside, while being fall-off-the-bone tender on the inside…. are you drooling yet? 🙂
What makes this recipe fantastic is the prep comes together in minutes. The longest part of the process is waiting patiently while your stew is cooking away in the oven and the kitchen smells like heaven. I highly recommend you serve this dish over mashed potatoes. Just trust me on this one.
Without further adeu, the Recipe. Don’t forget to check out my step by step video below!
4-5 Short Ribs
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup cabernet sauvignon
4 cups of bone broth (chicken or beef)
1 tbsp of tomato paste
2 chipotle peppers
2 stalks celery
1 head of garlic (roughly 15 cloves)
1 pack of poultry mix fresh herbs (combination of rosemary, thyme, sage)
1 pack of fresh chives
2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Pat your meat dry and rub with S&P and tapioca starch. Turn on oven to preheat at 375 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, heat oil to medium high heat. Then brown the ribs on all sides until a slight crust forms. (1-2 mins per side)
- Store the ribs on a plate. Add in chopped onions, carrots and celery and cook in the rendered fat for 5-7 mins
- Add in the garlic cloves (whole), tomato paste, soy sauce, wine, chipotle peppers, broth and reduce for another 5 mins.
- Add in the ribs and all the fresh herbs (except chives) and cover with the lid.
- Cook in oven for 2.5 hours until liquid has reduced and turned into a gravy consistency. Dispose of the herbs once cooked.
- Serve over some delicious creamy mashed potatoes. Sprinkle everything with chopped chives.
If you enjoyed the recipe, please leave me a comment and don’t forget to share the post 🙂