Okay, so I lied.
This actually is NOT an Ankitha Gadag original recipe. It is actually passed down from generations within the Gadag family clan. So thank you Mama for sharing the recipe!
Admittedly, this is not the healthiest of recipes… but trust me it’s worth the indulgence. There is a series of Indian “street foods” that are worth every calorie. Amongst them, a few of my favorites are: Panipuri, Bhelpuri, Samosas, and of course Mirchi Bajjis!
In the Gadag household, this is a regular treat on a rainy evening or when the whole family craves “junk” food. It’s a time for everyone to come together, throw on a 4 hour Bollywood movie, grab a glass of wine and share some mirchi bajji’s with bhel on the side.
From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this 🙂
What you’ll need:
- jalapenos (1 serving : 5)
- thyme seeds (1-2 tbsp)
- cumin seeds (1-2 tbsp)
- Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Flour (1 cup)
- Chosen Foods Avocado Oil (1 cup)
- warm water (1-2 tbsp)
- s&p to taste
- Start by slitting a vertical line through each of the jalapenos. De-seed for less spice
- Stuff with Thyme seeds + Cumin Seeds
- To make your batter , combine the remainder of cumin seeds, thyme seeds with the garbanzo flour. Add salt to taste. Add a couple tablespoons of the heated oil and WHISK away!
- Add in a couple tablespoons of warm water. You want to have a fairly thick consistency so the batter will hold in the oil
- Dip your stuffed jalapenos into the batter and fry until golden brown
- Serve HOT!