I don’t know about you guys but I love a week-night meal that keeps on giving. Giving heartiness, nourishment, warmth, fulfillment… what I call healthy soul-food. A delectable meal that gets prepared in a batch-style quantity, yet you don’t get bored of it two meals later. That is precisely what this savory spicy chili is.
I used ground beef (85% lean) for this recipe, but feel free to use whatever protein floats your boat. If you are health conscious and looking for a protein dense meal, use bison. If you want a more melt-in-your-mouth chili, use a less lean version of beef/pork/turkey. If you’re trying to keep it vegetarian, try using Tofu crumbles, Tempeh crumbles, Seitan, or even just red beans. Make the recipe YOURS!!! 🙂
OK, let’s get started…
You will need:
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (chopped)
- 1/2 onion
- 1-3 green chillies (1 = mild; 3 = spicy)
- 1 cup veggies of your choice (I used mushrooms & bell peppers)
- 1 lb protein of your choice (ground beef, turkey, red beans, tempeh, tofu, other)
- 2 cloves garlic
- bay leaf
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 3-4 cloves
- salt & pepper
- *optional: 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- *optional: 1 can garbanzo beans
- Start by chopping all your veggies in bite size pieces
- Saute the onion and garlic in about 1 tbsp of oil of your choice. Pro-tip: Add salt here, it makes the onion lose it’s water content to cook it faster.
- Add in the rest of your veggies
- Add in your seasonings. Cover and let it cook for about 10 mins.
- Now add in your protein
- Add in some water or broth and let it simmah simmah.
- Enjoy in about a half hr to an hr!
Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you for reading! P.S- this tastes great with some crumbled tortilla chips or avocado and toast!